Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Since it is pumpkin season I thought I would try a new recipe. Mariah said it was almost as good as pumpkin pie - translation "fabulous mom!" I must say these were delicious!! I did change things up a little bit however -
*I baked them in my cookie sheet and told my children they were pumpkin brownies.
*Then, I have one that doesn't like cream cheese frosting (yes, he can tell if there is even 1 T of it in the frosting), so I made more of a buttercream type frosting.
* of course added mini chocolate chips for the chocolate lovers (i must say it was equally delish with or without chip!)
*and then some chopped nuts on my part :0. Juliet

Pumpkin Bars

Bars:
4 eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar1 cup vegetable oil
15-ounce can pumpkin
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Icing:
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy.

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth.

Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan (I used 9x13).
Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.
To make the icing:

Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined.

Stir in the vanilla and mix again.
Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.

However, I did think the name was a little deceiving. They turned out more like a dense cake in the 9x13 pan. Next time I want to try making it on two cookie sheets (or splitting it between two 9x13 pans) for a thinner bar. Either way, these are truly heavenly. This might be my new favorite pumpkin dessert!

http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/search/label/pumpkin

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm excited to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my recipe for Pumpkin Soup. It is really good.

    1/2 cup onion
    2 Tbsp. butter
    1 cups mashed cooked pumpkin
    1 tsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. sugar
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1/2 tsp parsley to garnish
    1/4 tsp. thyme
    dash of garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. ground pepper
    3 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup half and half

    Chop the onions and gently brown with butter in a pan. Put mashed pumpkin with onions in pan. Add the salt, sugar, nutmeg, thyme, pepper and garlic. Slowly add chicken broth and heat thoroughly, but do not boil. Right before serving add the galf and half. Garnish with parsley. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds.

    ReplyDelete