Sunday, February 21, 2010

Blueberry Lemon Scones

I am in love with these scones! I got this recipe from here. My mother-in-law gave me some dried blueberries so I used those instead of cherries. Also, I do not have a zester in my life yet, so I just used a potato peeler to peel the lemon and then chopped it up really small. I love the glaze on it.

Preheat oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Mix together:
2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Cut in 1/2 c. butter to flour mixture until it looks crumbly. Then stir in:
zest of 2 lemons
1/2 c. (or more) of dried blueberries

Add 2/3 c. buttermilk (I just used 1 tbsp of lemon juice in 1 c. milk) and just stir till dough barely comes together. Don't overmix.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently four or five times and then pat the dough into a circle about 7 inches round and 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut this circle into 3-6 pie shaped wedges (or more).

Place scones on the baking sheet and brush tops with an egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 Tbsp milk). Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

Drizzle with glaze:
juice of one lemon and 1/2 - 1 c. of powdered sugar; should be kind of runny.

I made 12 scones but they weren't big. And next time I'm definitely doubling the recipe since it's just not enough for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment